Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The State of Entertainment Vol. 1

This is one of my favorite times of the year.  Weather is going to cool off soon (Right? It is going to cool off soon), football is back, I can start fixing chili, and the beginning of the new television season.  I love checking out all of the new shows and seeing which ones I will watch and which ones I have predetermined will stink.  Lets take a look at some of the new shows.

THE EVENT (I would have done the backwards E thing, but my computer doesn't write in mirror)  I am watching this show mainly because it is being billed as the next Lost.  I didn't watch Lost and now I feel lost when people talk about the smoke monster.  I feel like I missed out on an entire collection of cultural references because I didn't watch Lost and this bothers me.  This is the exact same way I feel about the career of Justin Bieber, only in reverse.

HAWAII FIVE-0  I will be watching this too, but mainly because I am a lemming.  I hate that they are trying to bring back an old show the same way that I hate how one Contemporary Christian musician will release a praise and worship CD, and then 35 others will do the exact same thing with all the same music.  Anytime I see this, whether it is in music, or television it just restores the fact that marketing is more important than inspiration.

NO ORDINARY FAMILY  This is like Heroes meets family melodrama.  So Yes I will be watching this too.

UNDERCOVERS  Another J J Abrams show.  Imagine taking the least entertaining parts of Mr. and Mrs. Smith and combining that with the parts of True Lies that I hated.  Still imagining.  I would watch that for 32 hours straight before I would watch this garbage.  Predictable plots will abound.  At least once a week the wife will save the husband's life which will only occur a maximum of 12 times because it will get canceled by Christmas.  So NO I will not DVR this. 

MY GENERATION  If this show is appealing to you then it is obvious that you are not happy with your life.  Ultimately you will be like everyone on this show.  If given the choice between this and watching Holmes on Homes and Carter Can I would watch the home improvement shows while hoping for the terrorists to attack my television.

LAW & ORDER LOS ANGELES  So let me get this straight.  Instead of the gritty streets of Brooklyn and the swanky abodes of Park Avenue we will get the gritty streets of WATS and the swanky abodes of Beverly Hills.  Hmm...I guess this means that NBC has become the new WB.  We aren't progressing well as a people are we?

OUTLAW  Jimmy Smits should be put into prison for all of the shows he has killed.  This show isn't entirely his fault, but if you watch the commercials for this show you can tell that just before every scene he is having this conversation:

Jimmy:  So the check from the studio cleared right?
Agent:  Let me check.
Director:  Jimmy we need you on set.
Jimmy:  One minute please.
Agent:  It's there Jimmy Baby. Are there supposed to be that many zeros?
Jimmy:  I am ready to perform.

This show is about a conservative Supreme Court Justice that retires after his liberal father dies.  Once he retires he travels the country as a defense attorney to defend the down-trodden and to go to all of the county fairs to determine which funnel cake and corn dog combo gives him the least explosive diarrhea.  One of those things was made up, but all three things are equally ridiculous.  This is a bigger NO than funnel cakes.


BLUE BLOODS:  Tom Selleck (with that Mom is in) plays a cop New York.  So does Donnie Wahlberg.  They are family as is most of the cast.  I was in on this also when I heard the name Tom Selleck as well.  After all he was Magnum, Quigley, and he made Rosie O'Donnell, and her anti-gun rights, look stupid (not like that required anything more than a nothing to make that happen).

So today we have looked at eight shows and what have we learned.  There is nothing new.  NBC sucks.  Jimmy Smits has The Midas Touch only if everything Midas touched was given Hepatitis.  Oh, and my DVR will be full within one week.

1 comment:

  1. Jimmy was "good" on West Wing! But so was Alan Alda who jockeyed for second versus Martin Sheen.

    ReplyDelete